There is nothing more frustrating than trying to work your way through a jumble of cords and wires. It is important to give some time to cable management to save yourself trouble should you one day find yourself behind your computer trying to plug in a new mouse or printer. There are simple solutions for wire management, ranging from color-coded Velcro and zip ties to custom labels.
You can also make labels for your wires with things you have lying around the house, such as an empty milk carton. Here’s what to do:
- Rinse out the milk jug and cut out any flat parts.
- Cut the flat pieces into one-inch squares.
- Punch a hole about one-eighth of an inch from the edge.
- Cut a slit from the edge of the square to the hole you just punched.
- Clip the corners of the square at an angle to get rid of sharp corners.
- Using a fine-point Sharpie, annotate the label accordingly.
Taking a moment of your time to organize your cords can really save you a lot of frustration in the future. Best of luck getting your cables labeled and managed!